The Small, Minority and Women Owned Business Enterprise (SMWBE) Program Advisory Committee shall function only in an advisory capacity and shall make recommendations to the Commissioners Court on various issues and policies concerning and impacting the SMWBE Program and its activity.
SECTION 1: Composition, Appointment and Terms
- (a) The committee shall be composed of 15 members: 3 members being appointed by each member of Commissioners Court. Members shall be appointed as outlined in Bexar County Administrative Policy No. 2.1.
- Qualifications: Bexar County resident or representative of a local business enterprise or advocacy organization.
- Chairman: Elected by a majority of the appointed Advisory Committee members for one year.
- Vice-Chairman: Elected by a majority of the appointed Advisory Committee members for one year.
- (b) The Advisory Committee will be composed of four Subcommittees: Policy, Opportunities, Outreach and Vendor Certification.
- Subcommittee Chairs will be elected by a majority of the appointed Advisory Committee members for one year. Members are required to serve and actively participate on at least one subcommittee.
- (C) Tenure: Two years or until successor is appointed.
- (D) Conflict of Interest: A conflict of interest arises when action on a matter will have a special economic effect on a member, or a business in which the member has an interest, which is distinguishable from its effect on other businesses.
- Each member shall verbally disclose any possible conflict of interest which may arise in connection with a matter being considered by the committee and shall refrain from discussing or voting on the matter.
- A member who discloses a possible conflict must also file with the committee chair a signed statement of the nature of the potential conflict.
- Each member shall file a sworn statement of financial disclosure with Commissioners Court indicating whether that member is or is not doing business with the County or any entity that does business on behalf of the County, and identifying any such business dealings in which the member is involved. The disclosure statement must be amended anytime there is a change in status.
SECTION 2: Meetings
- (a) The Advisory Committee may meet once per month, or at any other time upon the call of the Chairman or at least five (5) members, with at least ten (10) working days’ notice to all Advisory Committee members. The Advisory Committee shall meet at least once per quarter. The Small Business and Entrepreneurship Department shall give notice by the method of fax, e-mail, standard mail or telephone. A simple majority of the members will constitute a quorum of the membership. A simple majority vote of the quorum is required for passage of any action that will be communicated to Commissioners Court. A quorum is not required to receive reports.
The Chairman or at least five (5) members may call Emergency/Special meetings, with at least three (3) working days’ notice to all Advisory Committee members. The Small Business and Entrepreneurship Department shall give notice by the method of fax, e-mail, standard mail or telephone. A simple majority of the members will constitute a quorum of the membership. A two-thirds (2/3)-majority vote of the quorum is required for passage of any action that will be communicated to Commissioners Court.
* Simple majority is defined as a fifty percent (50%) plus one (1) of the members appointed and confirmed by Commissioners Court at the time of the meeting.
- (b) The Executive Committee shall meet at least one week prior to the Advisory meeting to set the meeting agenda in conjunction with the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Department staff, or at any other time upon the call of the Chairman, with at least five (5) working days’ notice to all Advisory Committee members.
1. The Executive Committee will be composed of the Chair, Vice-Chair and Chair of each Subcommittee. Subcommittee recommendations are to be submitted to the Executive Committee, which will determine the action items and scheduling of the remaining subcommittee recommendations to be considered by the Advisory Committee monthly.
- (c) All subcommittees may meet once per month, or at any other time upon the call of the subcommittee Chairman, with at least five (5) working days’ notice to all Advisory Committee members.
- (d) The SMWBE Advisory Committee shall carry out its duties through a Subcommittee process. Each member shall be required to serve and actively participate on at least one of the following subcommittees:
- Opportunities Subcommittee:
- (A) Review the County’s policies and procedures utilized and implemented for biddable contracts in the construction and procurement area.
- (B) Review general performance standards and specifications, as well as language in Request for Proposal (RFP) for professional services and discretionary contracts to determine if barriers to participation exist. The Advisory Committee shall not be responsible for reviewing individual contracts.
- Vendor Certification Subcommittee:
- (A) Review the County’s existing certification procedure to determine if the process creates barriers to vendor participation and make recommended changes for improvement.
- (B) Review the County’s procedure to determine if it provides the County buyers with the required access for the potential of increasing the participation of SMWBE in the County’s program.
- Outreach Subcommittee:
- (A) Develop educational programs designed to help SMWBE compete for County contracts.
- (B) Review the existing contracting procedures to determine if barriers exist which discourage SMWBE participation and to recommend potential plans of action to remove these barriers.
- (C) Develop outreach programs and materials for County buyers and the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Department aimed at communicating to SMWBE the opportunities available through the County’s program.
- Policy Subcommittee:
- (A) Recommend annual participation targets based on availability for SMWBE in procurement activities by all County funded departments, offices, agencies, facilities and special projects in the following areas: the supply of goods and nonprofessional services; the performance of professional services; and construction.
- (B) Recommend policy guidance to the Commissioners Court, Small Business and Entrepreneurship Department, Purchasing Agent, or any other County funded entity or facility.
- (c) All meetings shall be conducted in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Order. All meetings shall be open to the public.
- Time: To be determined by the Advisory Committee or Subcommittee Chair.
- Place: To be determined by the Advisory Committee or Subcommittee Chair.
- Quorum: A majority of the members appointed.
SECTION 3: Removal
- (a) Persons appointed to this committee serve at the pleasure of the appointing Commissioners Court member. A Committee member shall be in accordance with Bexar County Administrative Policy 2.1 - Boards and Commissions Guidelines, ATTENDANCE.
The section for ATTENDANCE states the following:
- Regular attendance of board and commission meetings by the appointee is expected by the Bexar County Commissioners Court.
- The chairperson shall notify the coordinator of the Bexar County Boards and Commissions, in writing, of any member who is absent from three (3) consecutive meetings without an excused absence by formal action of the Board, or is absent from fifty percent (50%) of the meetings held during any twelve-month period. A meeting cancelled for a lack of a quorum is considered a meeting for purpose of recording attendance.
The SMWBE Advisory Committee shall define the term “excused” of the attendance section of the policy as “being granted with at least 24 hours prior notice of absence to be provided to the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Department.”
SECTION 4: Functions
- (a) The SMWBE Advisory Committee shall develop a reporting and monitoring system to determine SMWBE participation in all County funded departments, offices, agencies, facilities and special projects.
SECTION 5: Effective Date
April 10, 2001 approved
July 24, 2001 (revised)
October 9, 2001 (revised)
January 29, 2002 (revised)
March 25, 2003 (revised)