Inmate – Clothing Exchange
Updated January 23rd, 2023
PROCEDURES TO EXCHANGE INMATE PERSONAL CLOTHING FOR COURT APPEARANCES
When a judge orders that an inmate appear for trial and be dressed in personal clothing, the procedures below shall be followed for the efficient exchange of clothing.
- The Attorney shall submit a written request/application on official letterhead, on behalf of the client, to attend the trial in personal clothing.
- Additionally, the following information is required in the letter:
- Inmate name
- SID number
- Case number
- Trial date(s)
- Attorney state bar number
- Attorney signature
- Name of the person dropping off/picking up clothing
- Submit the request preferably by email or alternatively by fax:
- By email: email@example.com
- By fax: Adult Detention Center Clothing/Property room at 210-335-6825. You may confirm receipt of the fax by calling the Clothing/Property room at 210-335-6152 / 5042.
A Property Release Form is also required in order to execute the clothing exchange. In order to minimize wait times as well as manpower/logistical issues, it is now REQUIRED that when sending the clothing exchange letter, you must include the name of who will be actually dropping off/receiving the exchange of clothing. Clothing/Property personnel will then fill out the property release form and obtain the signature of your client which is why it’s imperative to submit it at least 24 hours prior to the exchange.
Clothing exchanges for court appearances may be accomplished:
- Attorneys: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Non-Attorneys: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
SUBMIT THE REQUEST AT LEAST 24 HOURS PRIOR TO THE TRIAL DATE.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WAIT TIMES WILL VARY DEPENDENT ON MANPOWER, AND JAIL ACTIVITIES.
If the trial is expected to last more than 1 day, Request Letter/Application should state the requirement for multiple daily exchanges, and Property Release Form must be filled out for each exchange transaction, however, if it’s for multiple days and the clothing exchanges will be done by the initial Attorney or designated person, the original Property Release Form will suffice.
REMINDER: All exchanges will be “one for one” item exchanges. Due to the large population of the Bexar County Adult Detention Center, this facility does not have sufficient space to store additional clothing.