The BCOEM coordinates the Bexar County emergency management efforts in order to prepare, prevent, plan, respond and recover from all-hazard events. The BCOEM is active in the community in a variety of ways:
- Respond to emergencies/disasters within Bexar County and the region.
- Develop, maintain, and coordinate Emergency Management plans.
- Conduct/attend all-hazards training and exercises.
- Monitor emergency/disaster incidents and manage the Emergency Operations Center.
- On-scene command, control, and communication for emergencies/disasters.
- Participate in the Incident Management Team.
- Coordinate public information and the dissemination of warnings.
- Strengthen community education and preparedness through Volunteer management and coordination of Volunteer Organizations Active in Disasters (VOAD).
- Coordinate relief and recovery operations.