VA Compensation & Pension

AA vet couple motorbikeBexar County Military and Veterans Services Center advocates for our military transitioning members, veterans, and their survivors. Our diverse staff of veterans, VSO certified, VSO accredited, and business acumen professionals are ready to assist you. We provide services in identifying and obtaining every Veteran Affairs (VA) benefit to which you are entitled. Other services include outreach to clients who are homebound, homeless, or incarcerated and giving VA benefits presentations to nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and to other agencies/organizations throughout Bexar County.

Additional services and care are provided in a variety of areas:

Claims Representation and Counseling

Provided by: Bexar County Military and Veterans Services Center 

The Military and Veterans Services Center assists Veterans in filing VA disability claims and with the VA appeals processes, in addition to assisting dependents with survivor benefits.

Service-Connected Disability Compensation

Service-connected Disability Compensation is a monetary benefit paid to Veterans who are disabled by an injury or illness that was incurred or aggravated during active military service. Disability compensation varies with the degree of disability and the number of dependents and is paid monthly. Veterans with certain severe disabilities may be eligible for additional special monthly compensation. 

Contact the Military and Veterans Services Center to schedule an appointment for claims counseling: 210-335-6756

Non-Service-Connected Pension

Provided by: Bexar County Military and Veterans Services Center 

Non-Service-Connected Pension is a monthly benefit paid to wartime Veterans, 65 years or older, who have limited or no income. Wartime Veterans younger than age 65 who are permanently and totally disabled may also be eligible.

VA Appeals Assistance

Provided by: Bexar County Military and Veterans Services Center 

You have the right to appeal VA decisions. The Military and Veterans Services Center can help Veterans with the appeals process.

Benefits for Spouses & Dependents

Surviving Spouse Benefits - Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

Learn More at: U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs: Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

VA may provide a monthly benefit to the surviving spouse and some parents of a service member or Veteran whose death was service-related. Contact the Military and Veterans Services Center to schedule an appointment for assistance with filling out all necessary paperwork. 210-335-6775

Surviving Spouse Pension

Learn more at: U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs: Survivors Pensionwomen soldier n daught

VA provides pensions to low-income surviving spouses and unmarried children of deceased Veterans with wartime service. The pension provides a monthly payment to bring an eligible person's income to a level established by law. The Military and Veterans Services Center can assist with the application. Contact us at 210-335-6775 to schedule an appointment.

Other Military and Veterans Services Center Assistance

The Military and Veterans Services Center  also provides assistance with any of the following:

Medals, Awards, and Decorations

Provided by: National Archives: Medal Awards and Decorations

Requests for the issuance or replacement of military service medals, decorations, and awards should be directed to the specific branch of the military in which the Veteran served. Medals awarded while in active service are issued by the individual military branch if requested by Veterans or their next of kin.

Discharge Upgrades

Provided by: National Archives: Boards for Correction of Military Records / Discharge Upgrades

Each of the military branches maintains a discharge review board with the authority to change, correct, or modify discharges or dismissals not issued by a sentence of a general court-martial. The board has no authority to address medical discharges.

Military Record Corrections

Provided by: National Archives: Record Corrections

The secretary of a military department, acting through a Board for Correction of Military Records, has the authority to change any military record when necessary to correct an error or remove an injustice. A correction board may consider applications for correction of a military record, including a review of a discharge issued by court-martial.


The Bexar County MVSC Bear mascot represents our intention to utilize social media and our partners to highlight the journey of military transitioning service members, veterans, and their families. Through Bear's travels, he hopes to cover many relative topics including "getting to know your county government", he will visit county departments and our partner veteran organizations to learn about the services they provide. Keep an eye out for MVSC Bear,

bear in planebear group picbear arm badgeMVSC bear (2)