- Elected Officials
- County Clerk
- County Clerk Services
- Cattle Brand Registration
Marks & Brands Registration
Records on the Run
If you would like to avoid a trip to the courthouse or the need to pay for parking, visit our mobile unit “Records on the Run”. Click on the logo for information.
- Visit our Vital Statistics Department at Paul Elizondo Tower, 101 W. Nueva, Room B110 in the basement in San Antonio, Texas or check for upcoming dates & locations of the “County Clerk’s Office Straight to You”.
- Look through our Active Recording Log to ensure the availability of your brand.
- Pay the recording fee of $16 per mark & brand.
You will receive your receipt along with a copy of your recorded brand. The County Clerk’s Office will then forward your registration to the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, an association authorized to inspect livestock under 7 U.S.C. Section 217a.
Marks & Brands Renewal Period
Each person who owns livestock shall record that person’s marks & brands with the County Clerk of the County in which the animals are located.
The current marks & brands recording timeline was established in 1981. Every 10th year after 1981 each person who owns livestock (mentioned in Chapter 144 of the Texas Agricultural Code) shall have that person’s marks & brands recorded with the County Clerk.
- Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association membership gives you access to members-only insurance products developed exclusively for people in the cattle industry.
- Membership will help support the legendary TSCRA Special Rangers, who work to prevent animal and agricultural theft.
- Access to Members-only Discount Program, allows you to save on everything from everyday items to major equipment purchases
To join today, please call 800-242-7820 or visit TSCR.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I brand my livestock?
- Does my recorded brand automatically renew?
- Can I record more than one brand?
- Can more than one person or entity record the same brand?
1. Why should I brand my livestock?
Your brand is proof of ownership and identifies your livestock
2. Does my recorded brand automatically renew?
No. All marks & brands must be renewed regardless of the date it was previously recorded.
3. Can I record more than one brand?
Yes, each person or entity shall record in the County Clerk’s Office all marks and brands used to identify livestock. According to Chapter 144 of the Texas Agricultural Code.
4. Can more than one person or entity record the same brand?
No, if no other person has recorded the mark or brand it may be recorded.