The Casa Reales, 1772
The Casas Reales served as a municipal headquarters under Spanish, Mexican, Republic of Texas, and American regimes.
These structures served as the governor’s residence after 1772, the courthouse, and on the corner, the juzgado/calabozo/jaula or jail. That portion of old Market Street was thus known as Calabozo St. These buildings stood on the east side of the Plaza de las Islas/ Main Plaza just opposite San Fernando Cathedral.
This painting shows the Colonial-era Casas Reales in 1849, which appeared about nine years after the 1840 massacre of Nermernuh/ Comanche chiefs known as the Council House Fight.