Utility Application Process
Utility assistance is funded by different State and Federal programs and carries varying qualification guidelines. If your annual income falls at or below the 150% FPL, you may qualify for utility assistance. Note that other factors are considered in addition to income.
Federal Poverty Level
Area Median Income
|100% FPL||125% FPL||150% FPL||80% AMI|
A Notice of Eligibility or Notice of Denial will be emailed to the address provided on the application.
Will I Have My Utility Services Disconnected?
- Read the first page of your application, as it explains the documents that are needed. Be sure to include all documents required when submitting a complete application.
- Answer all the questions on your application. Incomplete applications will be denied.
- Include two (2) telephone numbers and your email address. This ensures proper communication for questions and notices.
- You're required to sign on all signature pages. If applying online, you will sign electronically using your computer touchpad, phone touchscreen, or mouse.
Digitally Sign Document using Touch or Mouse:
Please Note: An email address will be required for the online application.
Proof of US Citizenship - one of these documents is required for all Household Members:
- US State-Issued Birth Certificate
- U.S. Passport
- Permanent Resident Card (front and back)
- Certificate of Naturalization
Proof of Identification for all Household Members:
- State-Issued Photo ID
- U.S. Passport
If a picture ID is not available for children aged 17 and under, two (2) of the following may be accepted:
- State-Issued ID
- Vaccine Record
- School Record (report card, school photo ID, etc.)
- Insurance Card
Please Note: Email address will be required for online application
ALL gross income for ALL Household Members must be provided, including:
- Check stubs
- Social Security and SSI award letters for current year
- Unemployment Benefits with processed date
- Child Support pay history
- TANF award letter
- VA pension/disability letter
- Retirement/Annuity pension letters
- Adoption Subsidy
- Housing Assistance Program/Utility Reimbursement (final rent change notice)
Please Note: If a household member is age 18 or over and DOES NOT have income or is self-employed, please complete the Declaration of Income Statement. Bank statements are not accepted.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I access the application if I do not have a computer and/or Internet?
- How can I apply if I am unable to leave my house?
- Will I still be able to apply if I do not have an email account?
- What if I do not understand how to complete an application?
- If I qualified for help last year, do I have to apply every year?
- Why do I have to resubmit the documents I submitted last year?
- How long does it take to process my application?
- What are the hours of operation?
- Do you have a Complaint?
If you are not able to access the online application:
Please call 210-335-3666 and speak to one of our Client Representatives to request a home visit if you meet the criteria.
Yes, this is not automatic assistance for the following program year. Your eligibility ends on December 31st of each year and the Grants require you to apply for assistance annually. Our staff will calculate if you meet income eligibility based on federal income guidelines as the program may have new requirements for a household to meet in order to receive assistance.
Grants require submission of supporting documents every year due to change of address, additional family members, income and other changes.
Staff processes complete applications (with supporting documents and the correct signatures) in four-six (4-6) weeks.
- Our Resource Lab is open Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 3:30 PM
- Our online application is available Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 8 PM at: