The Community Impact division of the Economic and Community Development department provides financial assistance for utility payments to eligible Bexar County residents. This assistance is designed to prevent utility disconnection and to assist households in becoming self-sufficient.
Community Impact Utility Assistance
Utility assistance programs are available to ratepayers to support the health of families and individuals experiencing financial hardship while assisting low-income households in meeting their immediate energy needs. These programs also encourage consumers to control energy costs for years to come through energy education.
In order to receive assistance, the applicant must:
- Be a CPS Energy customer
- Reside in Bexar County (you may still qualify if you live outside San Antonio, in one of the 26 suburban cities)
- Be a U.S citizen or meet non-citizen criteria
- Meet income guidelines
Federal Poverty Level
Area Median Income
|100% FPL||125% FPL||150% FPL||80% AMI|
The following documents must be provided to determine eligibility:
- Proof of identification
- Proof of citizenship
- Proof of income
- Proof of CPS account number
For additional assistance, please contact us at 210-335-3666.
- Bexar County Energy Assistance Programs (PDF)
- Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs
- SSA Online Account Process (PDF)
- Employment Verificiation (PDF)
- Declaration of Income Statement (PDF)
- Acceptable Forms of U.S Citizenship (PDF)
Other Energy Resources:
- Payment Arrangements: If you are in danger of being disconnected, please contact CPS Energy at 210-353-2222. You may be eligible for an extension to avoid disconnection of services.
- Other Resources: United Way offers free and confidential information for a variety of services, call 2-1-1 or 227-HELP